Thursday, September 16, 2010

I will not take

“And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth, That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men  which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.”
This section is about obligation: if we rely on other people and not the Lord then we are obliged to follow their priorities rather than those we get from the Bible. In this case, Abraham (Abram) rescued his nephew Lot from danger but he wasn’t interested in taking the spoils which, naturally, should have been his. The reason he didn’t do this was because he had been caught up in other circumstances where he was dependent on the good will of other people and he was no longer completely free to follow the Lord’s calling. The Lord had promised to bless Abraham and his descendants and he was relying on the Lord’s promises rather than the good will of other people.
ould you like to support this ministry? Please click this link: http://jamesmcnaught.blogspot.com/ and then click “Follow” and encourage all your friends to follow as well.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment