Monday, January 3, 2011

Bring not my son thither again

“And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest? And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again. The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my father’s house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence. And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again. And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.”
Abraham’s career as the Lord’s servant began when he left his father’s home and set out on a journey. He didn’t know the destination but he trusted that the Lord would show him where to go and the Lord did. We can look at Abraham’s life through the prism of 4,500 years and see that God knew what He was doing and was entirely successful in His strategy for Abraham’s call was the beginning of the specificity that led to the Saviour’s birth. However, it is important for us to remember that Abraham understood that there was no going back. When God calls it is up to us to keep moving forward and not to desire the things that we have left behind. Lot’s wife still had a desire for the things of Sodom and she longed to go back to Sodom, even though it was being destroyed. She turned into a pillar of salt. On the other hand, Abraham knew that his son should not go back to the place he had formerly called home. When a person decides to follow Christ and life by faith in Christ alone they must never return to living by works. We are saved by grace through faith, we are kept by grace through faith and we cannot survive with a viable witness to the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ if we endeavour to be kept by works. 
Would you like to support this ministry? Please click this link: http://jamesmcnaught.blogspot.com/ and then click “Follow” and encourage all your friends to follow as well. You could also visit http://jamesmcnaught.com and consider buying Gulf or Reclaiming the Bible from the “Enlightened”.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment