Thursday, February 24, 2011

Go to my brother


Genesis 27: 41-46: “And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob. And these words of Esau her elder son were told to Rebekah: and she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said unto him, Behold, thy brother Esau, as touching thee, doth comfort himself, purposing to kill thee. Now therefore, my son, obey my voice; and arise, flee thou to Laban my brother to Haran; And tarry with him a few days, until thy brother’s fury turn away; Until thy brother’s anger turn away from thee, and he forget that which thou hast done to him: then I will send, and fetch thee from thence: why should I be deprived also of you both in one day? And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth: if Jacob take a wife of the daughters of Heth, such as these which are of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?”
Poor Esau, he had lost both the birthright and the blessing and he was angry. He wasn’t too concerned about the spiritual meaning of what he had lost but he was concerned about the fact that his younger brother had cheated him twice. He knew that Isaac was old and preparing to die and he decided that he would kill Jacob so that he could get both the birthright and the blessing. After all, how could he serve his brother if his brother was dead? He didn’t really understand what the blessing was all about and that it had come from God. Rebekah heard that Esau was planning to kill Jacob and decided that she would have to do something to help her younger son. She didn’t want to just come out and say that she favoured the younger son over the older son so she had to have a good excuse. Esau had already married some local women and they brought grief to both his parents. This was a good excuse so she told Isaac that she didn’t want Jacob to marry a local women, that is, a daughter of Heth. She sent Jacob to her brother in Haran so that he could stay there until Esau forgot about his plan to kill his younger brother.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment