Friday, May 6, 2011

To make me stink


Genesis 34: 30, 31 “And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, Ye have troubled me to make me to stink among the inhabitants of the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites: and I being few in number, they shall gather themselves together against me, and slay me; and I shall be destroyed, I and my house. And they said, Should he deal with our sister as with an harlot?”
Jacob was only worried about his own reputation. He didn’t worry about his sons or his daughter or how they might get on after this episode. He had worked so hard for so many years to get the blessings that God offered but every time he faced a crisis he forgot about God and tried to rely on his own resources. The two sons were more worried about their sister than their father was about his daughter. Never the less, it was Jacob’s God that mattered rather than Jacob. There is a recurring phrase throughout the Bible: “The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob...” (See, for example, Mark 12: 26 “And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?”) In the final analysis the only thing that will matter in eternity is the identity of our God. If we believe in the true God of all creation then we will be safe, if we don’t then we won’t be safe.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment