Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bury me with my fathers


Genesis 49: 29-33: “And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, In the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a possession of a buryingplace. There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah. The purchase of the field and of the cave that is therein was from the children of Heth. And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people.”
When the Lord first called Abram, later Abraham, He promised Abram that He would show him a place and that his family would become a great nation. Even though Jacob had gone down to Egypt, he knew that the blessing belonged in the Promised Land and he was determined to be buried there. They still didn’t own the Land, just the family grave site but that was the place to be. He was confident that God would keep His promise and that, one day, the family would live there and his memorial should be in that Land. Everyone who trusts in God and looks for His promises should understand that God is faithful and will keep His promises. We are just strangers on this earth and our treasure is in heaven (Matt 6: 19-21, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”) The Lord Jesus Christ said, “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14: 1-3) Like Jacob we are looking forward to something that is much better than anything this world can offer.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment