Friday, October 14, 2011

I have made thee a god to Pharaoh


Exodus 7: 1-7: “And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land. And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments. And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them. And Moses and Aaron did as the LORD commanded them, so did they. And Moses was fourscore years old, and Aaron fourscore and three years old, when they spake unto Pharaoh.”
Moses complained that he was not properly prepared to do the task that the Lord sent him to do. He wondered how Pharaoh would listen to him, however, even though Moses chose to identify with Israel, he was the adopted son of a former Pharaoh’s daughter and, as such, was considered to be a god in Egyptian eyes. The Lord understood all this before He called Moses to set Israel free from slavery and this fact was instrumental in giving Moses access to Pharaoh. If any of the ordinary slaves had tried to go into Pharaoh they would have been chased out and probably killed but Moses was like a god to Pharaoh and was able to come into his palace and talk to Pharaoh face to face. Even though Moses was like a god to Pharaoh, he was still the Lord’s servant and wasn’t free to say whatever he wanted to say, he had to say what the Lord told him to say. Pharaoh had already made a choice to defy the Lord by forcing the Lord’s people to be slaves and the Lord was going to make him face the consequences of this choice.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment