Thursday, March 20, 2014

Abner and Ishbosheth

(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)
Would you like to read James McNaught’s novel Sinking Sand”? click here: Sinking Sand
2 Samuel 3:7–21, “And Saul had a concubine, whose name was Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah: and Ishbosheth said to Abner, Wherefore hast thou gone in unto my father’s concubine? Then was Abner very wroth for the words of Ishbosheth, and said, Am I a dog’s head, which against Judah do shew kindness this day unto the house of Saul thy father, to his brethren, and to his friends, and have not delivered thee into the hand of David, that thou chargest me to day with a fault concerning this woman? So do God to Abner, and more also, except, as the LORD hath sworn to David, even so I do to him; To translate the kingdom from the house of Saul, and to set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan even to Beersheba. And he could not answer Abner a word again, because he feared him. And Abner sent messengers to David on his behalf, saying, Whose is the land? saying also, Make thy league with me, and, behold, my hand shall be with thee, to bring about all Israel unto thee. And he said, Well; I will make a league with thee: but one thing I require of thee, that is, Thou shalt not see my face, except thou first bring Michal Saul’s daughter, when thou comest to see my face. And David sent messengers to Ishbosheth Saul’s son, saying, Deliver me my wife Michal, which I espoused to me for an hundred foreskins of the Philistines. And Ishbosheth sent, and took her from her husband, even from Phaltiel the son of Laish. And her husband went with her along weeping behind her to Bahurim. Then said Abner unto him, Go, return. And he returned. And Abner had communication with the elders of Israel, saying, Ye sought for David in times past to be king over you: Now then do it: for the LORD hath spoken of David, saying, By the hand of my servant David I will save my people Israel out of the hand of the Philistines, and out of the hand of all their enemies. And Abner also spake in the ears of Benjamin: and Abner went also to speak in the ears of David in Hebron all that seemed good to Israel, and that seemed good to the whole house of Benjamin. So Abner came to David to Hebron, and twenty men with him. And David made Abner and the men that were with him a feast.And Abner said unto David, I will arise and go, and will gather all Israel unto my lord the king, that they may make a league with thee, and that thou mayest reign over all that thine heart desireth. And David sent Abner away; and he went in peace.”

While Abner said that he followed Ishbosheth as king, it seems as though he was more interested in being king himself. When a king was conquered the victor would take the former king’s wives and rape them. This showed that he was the true power now. Kings often took wives as part of treaty deals. A new king would demonstrate that he was taking control of the old kingdom and all its treaties. Abner made a public statement that he was really Saul’s successor, even though he didn’t really have any popular support. When Ishbosheth reprimanded Abner for his treason, Abner showed his true colours and decided that he would prefer to support David as king, because he despised Abner and Ishbosheth was a afraid of Abner. Abner approached David and told him that he was transferring his loyalty to David. David said that he was willing to accept Abner and the rest of the breakaway kingdom but he wanted to have his first wife Michal to show that he was genuine and that Saul’s family would support him in this new kingdom. David was given his first wife back even though her current husband was deeply upset by the move. Abner managed to find support for David among his tribe and they met together in peace to celebrate the new arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment