Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Now I will praise the Lord


Genesis 29: 31-35: “And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren. And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me. And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon. And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi. And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.”
Even though her father had given Leah a bad situation, the Lord saw that she was in trouble and blessed her with four sons. In a culture of multiple marriages there isn’t any real bond between the husband and the wife. The spouses have to compete with each other for attention and a mother can only find true security in her children. In those days, women had very few rights and they would have no source of income after they death of their husband. They had to rely on their sons to look after them at that stage. All Leah wanted was to be loved and respected. We can assume that she was treated badly while she was growing up because she had tender eyes and wasn’t much of a marriage prospect but her father added to her woes by forcing her into the competitive situation where she wasn’t loved by her husband. It is hard not to feel sorry for this poor woman but the Lord saw her situation and gave her some important compensation. She was the mother of four sons and respected for that in her community.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment