Thursday, September 22, 2011

Who am I


Exodus 3: 11-15: “And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain. And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.”
It was all very well for the Lord to tell Moses to go and set His people free but Moses really wanted to know what he was going to tell the Israelis and the Egyptians. The Egyptians had many gods and they would surely ask Moses which god was asking them to let the slaves go. Moses began by asking the obvious question first, “Who am I?” Who would just accept someone who had just come in from the desert and give them what they wanted, especially when it was something that could well alter the entire economy of the country? The Lord told Moses that He would be with His servant and that was all that Moses needed to know. The Lord said, when you have succeeded in this venture then you will come back to this mountain and serve Me here. This really did happen for the Law was given to Moses at that very place. God is the only Person Who can confidently predict the future. He says what is going to happen and then He makes it happen. Moses other question about the Lord’s identity was also very important. What would Israel say when this man, who they had previously rejected, (see Acts 7: 35, “This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush.”) suddenly came out of the bush and said “Trust me guys”? The Lord told Moses that He was the God of their fathers and He told Moses to tell Pharaoh that He is the God Who is always there. This is where Israel was introduced to the personal covenantal God, that is, the LORD. He had been with them since the beginning of the nation and He would be with them forever.
(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment