Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A dead dog

(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)
Would you like to read James McNaught’s novel Sinking Sand”? click here: Sinking Sand
1 Samuel 24:9–15, “And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men’s words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt? Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD’S anointed. Moreover, my father, see, yea, see the skirt of thy robe in my hand: for in that I cut off the skirt of thy robe, and killed thee not, know thou and see that there is neither evil nor transgression in mine hand, and I have not sinned against thee; yet thou huntest my soul to take it. The LORD judge between me and thee, and the LORD avenge me of thee: but mine hand shall not be upon thee. As saith the proverb of the ancients, Wickedness proceedeth from the wicked: but mine hand shall not be upon thee. After whom is the king of Israel come out? after whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea. The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.”

David called out to Saul to let the king know that he wasn’t trying to kill him. David believed that some of Saul’s men had poisoned the king’s mind against David and he wanted to show the king that he wasn’t trying to kill the king. He showed Saul the part of the coat that he had taken to prove that he wasn't trying to kill Saul. After all, if David was close enough to remove part of the coat that Saul was wearing then he was close enough to kill Saul. Surely this was sufficient proof for Saul. Even though David had been anointed king over Israel by Samuel the prophet, Saul still occupied the throne. David believed that he should trust the Lord to work according to His own timetable and not to try and force things to happen. He knew that killing one king could well lead to the murder of another king, himself. He didn’t want to start a long vendetta in Israel. David also compared himself as a dead dog to Saul the powerful and mighty king.

No comments:

Post a Comment