Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Lord reward thee good

(The view expressed in this blog are my own and should not be taken as inspired in any way.)
Would you like to read James McNaught’s novel Sinking Sand”? click here: Sinking Sand
1 Samuel 24:16–22, “And it came to pass, when David had made an end of speaking these words unto Saul, that Saul said, Is this thy voice, my son David? And Saul lifted up his voice, and wept. And he said to David, Thou art more righteous than I: for thou hast rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil. And thou hast shewed this day how that thou hast dealt well with me: forasmuch as when the LORD had delivered me into thine hand, thou killedst me not. For if a man find his enemy, will he let him go well away? wherefore the LORD reward thee good for that thou hast done unto me this day. And now, behold, I know well that thou shalt surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in thine hand. Swear now therefore unto me by the LORD, that thou wilt not cut off my seed after me, and that thou wilt not destroy my name out of my father’s house. And David sware unto Saul. And Saul went home; but David and his men gat them up unto the hold.”

Saul recognised David’s voice after David called out. David was Saul’s son in law so Saul called David his son. Even though he had been obsessed by the thought of killing David, he had a lucid moment and realised what he was trying to do. He wept for the relationship that he had destroyed and admitted that David had been good to him while he wanted to do evil to David. Who would ever let his enemy escape when he had the chance to kill him? David, instead had acted with a pure heart and Saul understood that the Lord would respect David’s attitude. Saul asked David not to kill all of his descendants after his kingdom was finished and David had taken over as king.

No comments:

Post a Comment